Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Blogtember, Day 1: Where I Come From

240601_10150309275883102_1329597_o

One of my really good friends, Amy (at Remended) linked me up to this awesome blogger challenge called Blogtember over at Story of My Life. Jenni put together a whole month's worth of blog prompts for us to use every weekday in September, starting today! I decided to participate because I used to be a very avid blogger back when I was keeping my Belgium blog. This sounded like a great way to "get back to the basics" as Jenni calls it, and to share a little bit more about myself with all of you! I am still going to continue to do style posts and travel posts as I have been doing, but this is also really convenient as I kick off the school year, cause Lord knows it's been busy for the past week and it's only going to get busier!

600008_10150970035652403_1307128624_n

Anyways, today's prompt reads: Describe where or what you come from. The people, the places, and/or the factors that make up who you are.

I love this prompt because I think that knowing a person's background can tell you amazing things about the person that you see today. I truly believe that our past experiences, relationships, even acquaintances, mold us into who we are. It kind of goes along with my whole "everything happens for a reason" mantra. That being said, I really think that everything that I've been through, happy or sad, exciting or boring, fun or dreadful, is a part of me and I wouldn't be who I am without every single one of those things.

IMG_4672

I come from an extremely close and nurturing family. My parents are amazing, hardworking, dedicated people who taught me how to be a strong, independent woman who can chase dreams and be just as extraordinary as I want to be. I thank God every day for giving me the most loving parents I could have. They taught me how to be ambitious and how to work for the things that I see in my future. They taught me to help others and to be generous. They taught me how to be a true, compassionate, as well as encouraging, friend. They exposed me to art and music and culture from the moment I was born. They showed me how to be a well-rounded, smart person with a passion to learn about life. Not to mention my rockin' sister.

Of course, nobody's story is perfect. In my life, my parents have both had career changes. Once by choice, the other by lack of choices. This obviously led to difficult times where we were struggling, and we still deal with that daily. However, through it all, my brave and amazing mother worked for and received her Masters degree, showing me again that anything can be accomplished, even when it all seems like it's headed downhill. I also come from a background of anxiety disorders and depression, but I know that working through that also makes me stronger. Positivity is the key to a healthy and happy life!

IMG_4874

Right now I'm in a happy relationship with a guy named Steve Martin (yes, his name is actually Steve Martin. No, I'm not talking about the celebrity), but like most of us, I've had not-so-happy ones in the past. I even had a long-distance relationship for about eight months. Even though those didn't work out, I know I wouldn't be where I am now without them, and they each taught me something about life and about myself. Even the friendships that I've had in the past that faded taught me things. Everyone you meet, everyone who comes into contact with you, they all affect and help shape you. I have amazing friends and I love them all.

615310_10151501597823102_1462776064_o

I feel most at home, and always have, on the stage. I come from performing and the spotlight. I've danced nearly my whole life and got involved in theatre when I was very young. Performance has always been a huge part of my life and ultimately, it will be where I spend the majority of the rest of it! Seeing shows as a child (again, thank you parents for exposing me to culture at a young age) and being involved in the performing arts so young helped me to choose a career path early in life and I couldn't be happier with it! The first musical I ever saw was A Chorus Line. I was in sixth grade, and I knew immediately that that was what I needed to do with my life. I've been dancing and acting and singing ever since and I'm not slowing down now!

Other random facts: Walt Disney World and the Walt Disney Company as a whole have both played major roles in my life and continue to do so to this day. Writing has often been my saving grace. Attending Cleveland State University was one of the best decisions I ever made, even though I fought it for a long time. Although it hasn't always been, fashion has become a really important part of me. If I wasn't going into theatre, I think I would have to do something with weddings. I've lived in the same house my whole life, except for the year I spent in Belgium and the six months I lived in Florida. Being average has never satisfied me, and I don't think it ever will. I couldn't do anything that I've done and I wouldn't be able to do any of the things I plan to do without the love of God (I didn't want to get too religious in this post, but my religion is a HUGE part of me).

This is a very abbreviated version of "where I come from". There are a million factors that go into the making of me and I could go on and on. I think this is enough for now, though! Keep checking back for more Blogtember posts this month! Where do you come from?



1 comment:

  1. Loved the theater picture! I also love that you are living out your dream! (:

    ReplyDelete