Tuesday, January 2, 2018

2018: Personal Renaissance

Untitled_Artwork

WOW it has been a while! A little over three years, to be exact. But with this new year, as with any new year, comes some new goals and ambitions, and one of mine was to get this blog up and running again. My most creatively productive and stimulating periods of time have been when I've been consistently blogging and writing. So, here I am, ready to put my thoughts back out into the universe, as well as share some of my creative lifestyle with all you readers!

I've given a lot of thought to this blog in the recent months, as I've geared up to get back at it. I went through some different ideas for new blogs, came up with some names, but ultimately decided that Free Sparrow is still my perfect canvas. It may go through a few changes, maybe look a little bit different, but I'm really excited to be back on this blog, into which I've poured a lot of time and effort.

SO! It's a new year! Is everyone excited? I love the new year. Yes, it's just another day. Yes, we should always be striving to better ourselves, and yes maybe we're fooling ourselves into thinking this time is more appropriate or special than others to makes changes. But the way I see it, you should take any opportunity for inspiration. If the idea of a fresh start inspires you, then follow that! Go for your goals, and use these changing dates to push you in that direction.

I've been especially introspective this New Year. I think it's because 2017 was arguably the toughest year I've faced yet. 2016 was rough, and we all said, "Oh, 2017 has to be better right??" I hope it was for all of you. Unfortunately, I found the opposite to be true. 2017 was a HUGE test in so many aspects. I won't get into that; after all, the new year is about looking forward! All you need to know is it has really pushed me to be reflective and move into 2018 with the proper mindset for success in many areas of my life. There's a lot I want to do in 2018. I took some time and wrote out in my journal all my goals for the coming year. There are quite a few of them! I broke them down into actionable items, as well, which is maybe the most organized thing I've ever done. The very first one I wrote down was exactly this: "get Free Sparrow back up and running". Others included your usual things, like "regain overall health" and "save money" and "travel more". I have some personal practices to implement, like writing and reading more, soaking up art and culture, and generally learning every day. I also have career goals: to audition like crazy, book some work, and turn equity by 2019. I want to register my small business, Cranberry Ink, in 2018 and get Pure Barre certified. And of course, my spiritual goals: to cultivate my relationship with God and give back to my community.

You may be thinking "WOAH girl slow down! Don't bite off more than you can chew!" Well, anyone who knows me knows that I just about always bite off more than I can chew. I'm gonna chalk it up to ambition! All of these things are combined into what I am calling my PERSONAL RENAISSANCE. This is very powerful wording for me. As you probably already know, "renaissance" is french for "rebirth". Think about that for a minute. It's an awesome concept, right?? Historically, it refers mainly to a huge manifestation of art and knowledge between the 14th and 17th centuries. The idea of consciously choosing to reclaim your artistry and cultural awareness is empowering!

That is exactly what I'm doing this year. My priority is my Personal Renaissance, and I'm seriously excited about it! It will involve my training for my craft, my art for my business, and research for my career. But it will also include personal learning on things I love, like fashion and music. I'm focusing on making choices like reading instead of scrolling endlessly through Facebook and seeing theatre over watching TV. I am dedicating myself to this time in my life. It's such an important season for me, having recently moved to New York and having endless opportunities for growth at my fingertips and absolutely nothing tying me down to anything.

The most important part of this entire process, though, is my faith and trust in God. This burning desire in my heart to learn and grow and make art, that comes from somewhere. I feel very blessed to have this scattered, creative, passionate brain. It makes me who I am and gives me so much drive to experience all the beautiful things in this world. God has led me to this place and into this season and I know he has so much to teach me. So, at this stage of life, it's all about my relationship with him and letting him lead me. I am powerful because I have him fighting right by my side. (I love the image of my God in battle, fighting for his people rather than sitting on his throne of clouds. It gives me goosebumps to think about.)

So here's to a year of faith and art and writing and creating and growth and passion! I'm so excited for 2018! There are big things coming in this year; I think we can all feel it! What are your goals and dreams for this year? What are you working towards in 2018?

No comments:

Post a Comment